Saturday, January 28, 2017

Mini Quilt Potholders!

I may have found a new love.  I just can't stop thinking about making more.  I'm talking about these super fun mini-quilt potholders!


They are SO much fun.  It's the satisfaction of designing and making a quilt, but the completion is so quick...I may be addicted.  I already have another ready for binding and fabric pulled for more.

With these first three, I played around with different ways of finishing.  For the first one, I quilted the top and back separately, the put it together by putting right sides together, sewing around the edges (leaving a small opening), then turning it out and topstitching.  It's so pretty, and it feels like a pillow.

Here's the front:


Here's the back:


For the second one, I quilted all four layers (top, back, batting, and Insul Bright) together, then machine bound it.  I'm pretty comfortable machine binding and stop stitching, but this was challenging due to the thickness.  It shifted a lot, so I definitely need more practice, but I do think it's darling.  <3



For the third, I wanted to make one with no border and free motion quilting.  So, I used 2.5" squares to make little hourglass blocks, then meandered across the top.  For binding, I attached it to the top with my machine, then hand-stitched it down on the back.  It has a much cleaner look to the binding.



Have you made mini-quilt potholders before?  Do you love them as much as I do?  Let me know in the comments!

Have an awesome day!

~Summer


Today, I've linked up with TGIFF, and Finish It Up Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I do love the quilted potholders, too! Especially in themed fabrics as gifts. ; )

    ReplyDelete