Friday, January 13, 2017

Finished - Repurposed Table Runner Set

I'm so happy to share this project today.  This is a neat one.  My friend and customer brought me a bag full of the fabric from her grandmother's chair.  The goal was to repurpose the fabric into items that the family could put out to remember her.

Here's one of the pieces I had to work with:



After looking at the fabric, we decided on 2 hanging potholders and table runner.

Here are the pot holders...


I used leftover strips of the chair fabric to make the hanging loops.  I also used a 10" square as the backing, then folded it over as the binding.

I had some fun free motion quilting each of them.  I did a scrolling, swirly design to reflect the swirls in the fabric.



The table runner was slightly trickier, because I had to design a pattern around the available fabric, making sure to cut away any stained or warped fabric.

I've had the Irish Chain on my mind...you know the way the "chains" flow through the quilt and around the blocks?  With that in mind...this is what I came up with.


I had a stack of fabrics in my stash that just coordinated beautifully with the original fabric.  I wanted there to be motion in the pattern, so the eyes are drawn across it.


I really enjoyed quilting this too.  I did an wide meandering on the large blocks, then swirls on the borders.  I'm really pleased with how it came out.


I'm honored that I was able to complete this project, and I hope that the recipients love it and think of grandma when they see it.  <3

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Summer

I'm linking up today with TGIFF, Finish It Up Friday, and


2 comments:

  1. Sweet stitching! Very cute finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a special project! Everything turned out beautifully :) Thanks for linking to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete