Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Custom Quilting on Hannah's Quilt

I'm so excited to share this project today!  My beautiful, talented, friend, Hannah, pieced this top, including a couple of evenings in my home...her first quilt!  It was my pleasure to quilt it before she submitted it to the Kentucky State Fair.


Because of the bright tone-on-tones and the black/rainbow background, we considered several thread colors...variegated, black, white, and using black on the background, then matching the top thread to each color.  We finally decided on a silvery gray over the entire quilt.  I'm so glad we did.  It allowed the quilting to stand out on the black, yet it receded on the bright, diamond blocks.


I chose to do the Shadow Waves quilting design on the diamonds found here on Leah Day's site, then I used a simple free-motion paisley all over the background.  This is the first quilt, in a several years, that I used different quilting for different blocks.  It was a lot of fun, planning my way around the quilt.


The texture was so nice, between the close lines of the wavy quilting beside the slight puffy paisley. <3  Do you ever just sit and run your hand across the top of your quilts?


One of my favorite things is to flip my quilts over and look at the back, because the quilting is easier to see.  Hannah chose to use a pretty aqua backing fabric with a strip of the fun rainbow polka dot fabric she used for binding later.


Until next time...thanks for stopping by!

~Summer




I'm linking up today with Monday Making!

No comments:

Post a Comment